After the war, Willys did not resume production of its passenger-car models, choosing instead to concentrate on Jeeps and Jeep-branded vehicles, launching the Jeep Station Wagon in 1946, the Jeep Truck in 1947, and the Jeepster in 1948. An attempt to re-enter the passenger-car market in 1952 with the Willys Aero sedan proved unsuccessful, and ended with the company’s acquisition by Kaiser Motors in 1953, for $ 60 million. Kaiser initially called the merged company “Willys Motors”, but renamed itself Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. By the end of 1955, Kaiser-Frazer had dropped the Willys Aero, as well as its own passenger cars to sell Jeeps exclusively.
American Motors Corporation (AMC) in turn purchased Kaiser’s money-losing Jeep operations in 1970. This time $ 70 million changed hands. The utility vehicles complemented AMC’s passenger car business by sharing components, and volume efficiencies, as well as capitalizing on Jeep’s international and government markets. In 1971 AMC spun off Jeep’s commercial, postal and military vehicle lines into a separate subsidiary, AM General – the company that later developed the M998 Humvee. In 1976 Jeep introduced the CJ-7, replacing the CJ-6 in North America, as well as crossing 100,000 civilian units in annual global sales for the first time.